Monday, October 6, 2008

Come what may... and love it!


Yes, We were painting all the cutesy stuff on the nursery walls and hanging up shelves and cabinets during the first and second sessions of General Conference on Saturday. We decided to turn the new HDTV on in our room and blast Conference so we could hear it in the adjoining nursery. Cory walked into our room, took one look at the tv, walked back into the nursery, and yes, I am almost ashamed to say it... he quotes The Singles Ward.

"Imagine Monday Night Football on that thing!"... "No, imagine general conference!"

And of course I couldn't help but start laughing as I hung my head in shame.

I think my favorite talk was given by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin. I love listening to him speak. Growing up in San Diego, and with my father being in the Stake Presidency for so long, my family was able to meet with many of the latter day apostles not only in a church setting, but in a relaxed family environment. Two of my favorite apostles have always been Elder Wirthlin, and President Monson. (How cool is that that he's the Prophet now!) My favorite story has consequently affected the way I see Elder Wirthlin. In his talks, he often refers to the sports he played in his youth. I fondly picture him in his football uniform, shorter than all the other players on his team, breezing past them as he ran. "Swifty" is what he was called, and how I like to think of him. I love knowing that these great people are just that... people. They have wives and families, they tell jokes, and you wouldn't believe the kind of tricks they pull on each other. I miss being able to experience that first hand. In that regard, Utah is pretty boring and, I must admit, a little disappointing.

There were things talked about this weekend that were important to hear, and I'm sure will have another time and place to impact me, but the message I walked away with was this "Come what may and love it". If you're not a member of the LDS Church, I would still encourage you to click that link and listen. What a wise man! What better way to deal with hardships is there than to laugh about it?

So it's unofficially official... They kept me late on Friday during my appointment because so much was going on. Madison measured 36 weeks and over 5lbs as of last week. Everything was developed enough to deliver, except her heart, which was only at 80%. So, I have been scheduled a tentative appointment for the 28th if I haven't had her on my own by then, and they will measure her again and decide how to induce me. Much to Cory's dismay, we may be looking at the 29th or 30th rather than Halloween. So, yes, 3 more weeks. I can do that... I think. YIKES, I'd better go fold some more baby clothes!

2 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I love that picture you put before the post. I want a copy on my wall - just gotta go buy it...somewhere...

Thank you for your thoughts and insights. I enjoyed that talk as well. My heart was beating fast the whole time - thinking yes, this is SO true - I have to remember these things!!!

Wow. Three weeks . . . that really does sound like forever, and I'm not the one who's pregnant!

Waiting on your two lines . . . I know there's something fun in your witty mind that you want to share.

Anonymous said...

Found it! Have I mentioned how much I find Google useful? *grin* Of course, that was after browsing all of Deseret Book, but ah, well. Got to see many other good pictures from the search.

Thank you so much for sharing your insights from General Conference. It says a lot about what we learn from the prophet's instructions, and even more that you were willing to share.

And you're right, it is more interesting, even lively, to know the person behind the prophet. I remember when Hinkley's grandson opened his talk to our stake with insights on the Prophet's human side that endeared him to me all the more. Again, thank you.

And, eek, that soon? It'll be exciting to see Madison! And don't let Cory get disappointed if her birthday's not on the last day of the month. That will just then mean you'll get to have a holiday/birthday celebration for several days instead of just one!