Ah, wonderful WebMD. If you ever have a symptom you have no clue what's going on, i recommend going to this site... they have an awesome in depth symptom checker. So, in one of my searches, I came across the webmd review of the program. You can see the full article HERE, but I wanted to just touch on some of the things that jumped out to me.
Over the years (and I really haven't been around that many), I have seen so many diets come and go it's dizzying! so, what is the Weight Watchers diet? "Since the early 1960s, Weight Watchers has been the gold standard for successful weight loss programs. Among the reasons for Weight Watchers' longevity: the program is based on science, addresses the dieter's lifestyle as a whole, and is free of gimmicks."
In past years, some people have abused the system by using up all their allotted points on food that still isn't the best for them. They have remedied that by changing the way people pick their points: "We have combined the point system of tracking intake with a focus on filling foods that are low in energy density but also provide satiety, so you can stick with your plan without gnawing hunger [...] The Momentum plan highlights foods that are nutrient-rich and filling, but members make the actual choices based on their personal preferences and allotment of points."
What you can eat on the weight watcher program:
"You don't have to eat less, just smarter, on the Weight Watchers diet. No foods are prohibited. Instead, each food is assigned "points" based on its calorie, fat, and fiber content.
Each member has a target Daily Points Range, calculated based on their body weight and activity level.
The points system helps you learn to get more value out of what you eat by making healthier food choices. Some examples:
- 1 cup broccoli: 0 points
- 1/2 cantaloupe: 2 points
- 1 small bean burrito: 5 points
- 1 6-ounce steak: 8 points
- 1 3-ounce grilled chicken breast: 3 points
- 1/4 cup regular creamy salad dressing: 8 points
- 1 slice bread: 2 points
- 1 ounce chocolate: 4 points
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream: 4 points
The Momentum system also helps members avoid hunger. Filling foods such as popcorn, broccoli, and whole wheat pasta are identified with green diamonds, and dieters are encouraged to eat them. "
The full article continues on for another 3 pages, so I will spare you and give you the option of reading it yourself if you want to. Hopefully you will think I am a little less crazy than you though I was :)


4 comments:
Never thought you were crazy dear! LOL
I think that's great, and I will take your 'nudge nudge' into consideration, as this sounds like something that might actually work for me, and as friends, we can do it together.. mostly. LOL
Thanks for sharing :D
What are you talking about? Of course you are crazy. You are an crazily amazing woman! Don't change that! ;->
I think it is great you are doing all this research and not taking for granted anything that affects your health. It is also great that you are doing it voluntarily.
Thanks for the WebMD link. I've book marked it for future reference.
Keep it up, you know you can do it!
Yes, I do see how weight watchers teaches good principles. It's hard to diet when you feel depraved! Weight watchers teaches people responsibility for their food intake, so they can say, "Yes, I can have some cake at Jenna's birthday party, but that means I may have to offset that with some extra veggies so I can feel full." Or the like.
And they don't make you purchase food from them (like Jenny Craig). Or do anything ridiculous like eat grapefruit for x-many days.
I believe this will be a good journey for you! GO MEGHAN!!
Thanks Girls! I really think it's a change I can make in my home... or at least a start. I really don't want to be counting points till the day I die. I know it's not the be all to end all, But for us at least, it certainly is better than what we were doing. What I'm really hoping for is just to learn more what we should be eating and how much of it, and make it something we can work with, and how to change what we already eat to make it healthier. I found some really nice links on the internet for recipes that already have a points per serving on them, and what is exciting is that it is real food. I can still cook!
Post a Comment