Mmmm... cake. My favorite. My downfall. The bane of my existence. When I see cake I crumble. Or, at least, I used to.
We had so much fun with friends and family yesterday at Zoe's birthday party. There was good company, good food, and good cake! I have noticed that the little changes we have implemented in our food choices has spread from something I have to do, to something I want to do. In the past I would have had not one piece of cake, or even two, but maybe three by the end of the evening. Last night, I am so proud to say, I had one piece. And not just cake for that matter. I had one plate of food from dinner. Normally I would have had three or four helpings. That is the way all my meals and snacks have been lately, and it has made a huge difference!
I made a comment on Alyse's new blog this afternoon that I wanted to share. The changes we have been making in not just what we eat, but how much we eat have taken hold within our family. Before, the girls would have woken up in the morning and wanted anything and everything they could get their hands on. Which was usually total crap on the scale of healthy things to eat. We have been eating up all the veggies, greens and grains and beans we can cram in us. Well, this morning Abby told me she was hungry and needed a snack. She emerged from the kitchen crunching on a carrot! Monkey see, monkey do. And I couldn't be happier. Our kids (and me & cory) were eating way to much sugar... yeah, I know, pretty stupid for a diabetic. Well, in our quest to exercise and eat better, guess what... I have had to take a lot less medicine than I was just a few weeks ago. In fact, I am pretty sure Cory is sick of having to run to bring me juice in the middle of the night because my blood sugar is too low. After only a couple weeks, I am excited for the long term effects of keeping this up. I definitely don't want my kids growing up having to shoot themselves full of insulin. Not only that, I want to be around to take care of them for a long time to come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Send that cake my way! Don't worry about it ruining my dietary habits. It will be inedible by the time it gets here anyhow. Hmmm. On second thought, don't send me the cake.
Now I want a carrot. Yum!
Oh, it's great to hear that your ... not diet, but change of lifestyle, is going so well! I don't have the willpower (yet) to do the same, but I'm hoping I'll get there eventually.
I didn't know you were a diabetic, though. That makes it even more important for you to quit the bad habits, I fully understand that you don't want your girls to grow up to have the same trouble! A small suggestion, though: For the sake of being considerate towards Cory, could it not be an idea to have a glass of juice next to your bed at night, so you could just reach out and grab it? Or better yet, a bottle, or one of those not-tipping-over lidded baby cups. (trust me, I've knocked over glasses of water a few too many times, it's quite an unpleasant surprise to suddenly get a cold splash all over your head and bed, when all you wanted was a sip while you were still two thirds asleep.) Just a suggestion...
Anyway, I think you're doing great, in all aspects of your life, so I'll try and stop sounding like an older sister or aunt now, and just say
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! You're doing wonderful.
*hugs*
Lærke
Congrats Megan,
It seem that several of us are taking charge of our health. I think that is great. Good luck. If I can help let me know. Though I don't do much with it I have been trained in nutrition and as a personal trainer, and Massage theraphist.
Way to go!!! I hope aryn starts asking for carrots too instead of sugary crap. :)
Sounds like your doing great! before you know it your going to have to get yourself a new pair of skinny jeans!
Great Job, Megan! Isn't it so awesome to see the way eating healthfully affects your family?! That's wonderful... can't say enough how happy I am for your new healthier self.
This sounds familiar. Most of what I can't resist, I try to avoid. Good job using a huge amount of restraint! And it is so inspiring to hear your example is influencing your girls to healthier habits, too.
It seems appropriate that I read this while munching on carrots, too. ;->
Post a Comment