Sunday, August 31, 2008

"You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance." -Franklin P. Jones

So this post is mostly for Cory and I to remember some of the funny things that have come out of our children's mouths, but obviously, I'm posting it in a public space, so if you find yourself staring at this post, you are more than welcome to continue reading, since of course, if you have children of your own, you know telling stories about them is one of your favorite topics.

Where to begin? I personally think my kids are both the reason I have lost most of my sanity, and the reason I still retain some of my sanity. I realize every parent thinks their child is funny beyond measure, so I won't feel too bad about joining that crowd.

Becoming a mother has convinced me of a few things about life. First and foremost is that absolutely nothing, not family, not friends, not hours and hours of educational child birthing or rearing movies, episodes or books, can fully prepare you for having and raising your own children.

Second, is that there is a definite reason Heavenly Father sends babies down to us tiny, cute, and unable to talk. We are lucky enough to have a chance to bond with our sweet, innocent, little babies before they have the chance to drive us crazy. I remember the sweet little coos and goos from the girls when they were so small. I remember thinking, "I can't wait until they can respond to me and tell me they love me." While we have passed the days of the coos and goos, and have achieved the much desired "I love you", we have also entered the days of talking back.

I have never encountered a child as independent, stubborn, and willfully mischievous as my little Zoe. And don't forget Abby. Oh my goodness, that child has an opinion about EVERYTHING! I find, however, that just when I feel like I have reached the end of my rope, and I consider moving to some far away planet, that they say the funniest things. Things that keep up my spirits and snap me back into reality long enough to realize what a joy and a blessing they are in my life. Long enough to remember that I can't strangle them because I want grandchildren someday. So I can see the cruel and somewhat just cycle of life come full circle, and laugh when my children call me because their children are driving them insane.

Elizabeth Stone once said, "Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body." It is amazing how true those words seem to me now. Not that I don't love Cory as much as someone can love their spouse, but the love I have for him pales in comparison to the love I have for my girls. They are the most precious gifts Heavenly Father could have ever deemed to entrust me with, and I can only pray I don't mess them up too bad. They know exactly when I am getting down, or I am getting sick, and they instantly become so warm and so caring. They ask me if I am sick and if they can make me feel better, or they cup their hands on my cheek and run their hands tenderly along my face.

I love how Zoe is utterly and completely "MY" girl. She is my cuddler. She loves to climb into my lap, snuggle really close, look into my eyes and say "I am your Zoe Bear, and you are my Mommy.", which of course, melts my heart every time she says it.

Zoe is also my little parrot. She listens to everything we say, which is good, because it is really helping us be better about what we do say. But one of her favorite things right now is to listen to animals and repeat the sounds they make. I love how everything scary, at least to her, makes a roar sound. Lions, Tigers, Bears (oh my!... sorry, I couldn't help it) they all sound the same. We recorded her growling so we could remember it and possibly use it as blackmail at some later date, but right now it serves as Cory's ringtone on his phone. I love it when people call, just so I can hear my Zoe Bear roaring.

Miss Abigail... what can I say about her? She is like a young adult stuck in a 3 year old body. She thinks she is such a big girl, and she has either a question, or an opinion about everything. She comes into the room and if anything is wrong, thinks she needs to take charge of everything. I guess she is my mini me after all.

I think one of the funniest stories I have of her so far, was about a year ago, maybe just under, we were all in the car driving somewhere; Cory, Me, Abby, and Zoe. Abby, or course, was picking on Zoe and we kept turning around and yelling at her to leave her sister alone, which also of course, she didn't do. Zoe finally reached over and smacked Abby with her shoe, which set Abby into a crying fit. We sat in our seats, trying to stifle the laughs while taking charge of the situation. Abby wanted us to punish Zoe for hurting her, but didn't really care that Zoe was just protecting herself. Cory, in all his wisdom says "Well Abby, it's called Karma." To which she instantly replied, "No... It's called a boo-boo." At that point, we lost all sense of what little composure we had left and started laughing, which set off the next comment, and if you can imagine this coming out as an exasperated, annoyed question, that will help, "WHAT is so FUNNY?" To make matters funnier, about a week of so later, Cory hurt his finger before getting into the car and was complaining about it. Abby asked him what was wrong and he thought he was being witty by saying "It's called a boo-boo." Without even missing a beat, she said, "No, it's called Karma!" Needless to say, we still joke about that one.

Well, I could go on for pages and pages about what my kids have done and said, but I am getting tired, and I'm sure anyone reading this is wishing they skipped my post for the day. All I can say is I love my girls. Pistols and pains in the butt, but I love them with all my heart.

At the gentle persuasions of Michelle, I read Kate Chopin's The Awakening, which I greatly enjoyed and recommend. I love how Edna says, "I would give up the unessential; I would give my money, I would give my life for my children; but I wouldn't give myself." It made me stop to think if I am the kind of mother who would give up the "unessential" but not truly give myself. None of us are perfect, and I realize I have much to learn still before I leave this life. It was this one line that got me thinking, and wanting to be not just a better mom, but a better person.

Isn't that what we are asked to give of when it all comes down to it? To Give ourselves. In every aspect of our lives. I hope that I can start giving less of the everyday "things" in my life and start giving more of me. Don't hold your breath anyone, because I realize this is something that takes a lifetime to achieve, but I am hoping, and excited to start with a little piece of myself, and see what marvelous things open up before me. I think when we truly give of ourselves, we don't really lose anything, we can only stand to gain more.

I would like to think that in some small way, this new baby has been the beginning of my understanding of what it means to truly give more to my Father in Heaven by trusting in him, even when what he tells me is completely against everything I know is safe and comfortable. What a miracle and a comfort it is to know that he watches over me and gives me the friends, family, and loved ones, to support me in his stead. Now comes the challenge of giving more in every other aspect of my life, a challenge I somewhat hesitantly but also excitedly look forward to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing all the stories and insights! I especially like your ending comment: A hesitant excitement. That so well encapsulates the feeling of starting any new chapter in life. May your adventures be wondrous and joyful!