Monday, May 7, 2012

Life is about learning

Have you ever reached an awakening of sorts, in your life, where you realize you are worth it? It took an amazing friend this week to open my eyes a little. The one simple thing they told me- that I was worth it. I'm not sure why I couldn't come to that conclusion myself, but I'm so grateful that I have wonderful friends who are there for me in my times of need.

I realized that I do deserve to be happy... I shouldn't have to do all the work to make things work... that I need to give people the chance to do their part. That's a big problem with me. For as long as I can remember, I've allowed myself to let people into my life and my heart that either can't or won't put forth the genuine effort a relationship requires. Then rather than address the issues, I make myself miserable by going out of my way keeping all the life in said relationship. What I've realized is that it's making me very unhappy. There is this great saying that first, you need to be your own best friend. I love that saying. It means that you need to love and appreciate yourself the way you would your (non-you) best friend. But being your own best friend can't (and shouldn't) mean that you literally are in a one sided relationship. By not allowing others to fail on their own, I am robbing them of learning and growing from their own mistakes. Something that can really make a relationship SO much stronger and valuable. In the end, it just makes things that much more painful when you realize you're just miserable and tired and they are off living in a dream world.

What I've realized is that I am, in fact worth it. I'm worth having a complicated and stimulating friendship. I am worth friends who will stand by me, stick up for me, and also tell me when to wake up and smell the roses. I am worth surrounding myself with people I can talk freely with. Laugh with. Cry with. Depend on. So thank you, friends, for taking the time to actually be my friends. It's comforting knowing that I do have true friends who let me be there for them, and who are also there for me when I need them.

2 comments:

ANeibaur said...

First, Meggy pie, I love you!!! You are worth it. Aboso-freaking-lutely!!!
I know what you're dealing with, I too have had to make decisions about friendship that have hurt, but what I have learned in my own mistakes, and experience is that some people just don't click, and that can hurt us a great deal, but that doesn't make you a bad person. You are who you are, and some people won't be able to deal with that, and some will. In knowing this, myself, I've been able to forgive easier, and let go easier, because we all have our faults but we are beautiful regardless.
You are a beautiful, wonderful person who's having a hard time, but that doesn't change the core of you, who is the strong, capable, loving person I know.
I'm always here for you. Hang in there. ♥

Cher said...

Of COURSE you are worth it! You know I always say that people will treat you in the way that YOU allow them to, so don't allow it and it won't happen. Life is too short and there are too many awesome people out there to waste your time. Once you let those things go, it is so liberating! Just do what you need to do to be happy. You are awesome and we love you!