Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hehehe... I win!

Image Courtesy of ttoes.wordpress.com


Well, the wait is over. Cory and I had our physicals last week, where they did a wide array of blood-work. This morning, our doctor was kind enough to call Cory, even though it was his day off, to give him our test results. Cory emailed me the hard numbers of my results because I was just so darn proud I had to share... his results... not so much.

As it turns out, my cholesterol is 157, and my triglycerides are 57, and my HBA1c, while still a little high, is down to a 7.8 (was over 9 a few months ago). Normal Cholesterol is under 200, triglycerides under 150. Cory's cholesterol was down about 15 points from last month at his work health fair check, but still over 240, and his triglycerides... are you ready for this? Over 400! Yeah, kind of scary. Apparently, I am going to have to play the part of taskmaster and not only make the food, but portion the food before serving it as well.

We were correct in guessing Cory would in fact have to be put on medication. Our doctor called in a couple different prescriptions for Cory to help him get his numbers to a more controlled and safer level, where hopefully, he won't need medication any more and we can manage it with diet and exercise alone. That remains to be seen as yet. In the meantime, though, our doctor was very impressed with the changes we had already been making prior to our appointment, and urged us to stick with it, and for Cory, to buckle down a little bit more. So, while I've only lost just under 10lbs, my overall health is a lot better than I had anticipated, and I for one, am totally stoked! Way to go me!

5 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Congrats on your progress! I hope Cory's heath improves and that he's doing okay. I've been working out now for two months and haven't lost one pound. I'm trying to eat better, too. I guess it takes time.

Glass Dragon said...

Meghan: Go you!!! That rocks! Keep it up! Here's more exclamation points!!!!!

Michelle: When my mom was going to Curves they stressed keeping track of your measurements over weight. Working out builds muscle, and muscle apparently weighs more than fat. Mom gained two pounds one week, but she lost two inches off her waistline.

Anonymous said...

Winner, indeed! Losing weight is nice, but having the 'behind the scenes' numbers be so stellar is, well, out of this world! Well done and standing ovation, Meghan! * cheers and hugs *

ANeibaur said...

Way to go Meghan! But poor Cory...
Hope all works out well for him to get him down to safe levels :)
You guys are doing great!
Keep eating that spinach! ;)

Derico Photography said...

Thanks guys! Yeah, maybe I should try measuring as well... that would be interesting.

Cory was a good sport last night when I made him pass me his empty plate so I could put the food on it for him. I did have to talk to him about putting an end to his "burger quest" where he & his co-workers go out as a group to try to find the best burgers in town. The saved money from that alone will be nice, but I am sure it will help bring his numbers down not chowing down on those wonderfully greasy, salty hamburgers.

And yep, I love me my spinach! LOL. You're so funny Alyse. It's my way of going green ;)