So, I really wanted something sweet for dinner. I was thinking Coconut Shrimp... denied! Oh well, I knew we didn't have enough money to go out somewhere nice anyway, so I decided to try my hand at something different tonight. Pancakes crossed my mind, but I didn't want big fluffy cake like pancakes. Instead, I tried my hand at some cottage cheese pancakes. I could only find one recipe online, but it just didn't look appetizing... or correct. So, what did I do... I made my own recipe... and may I sy, they came out fantastic! I didn't want big & thick, and I didn't want lumpy. Instead, I used the blender to make the batter and they were the consistency of crepes. You only cook them for like 30 seconds on one side and maybe 10 on the other. I served them with some raspberry jam and some powdered sugar sprinkled on top. The girls ate almost the entire blender full... yah, THREE serving each. And we are talking like three pancakes in a serving. Cory and I almost didn't get to eat any. That said, Cory was sweet enough to do the dishes tonight so I could immediately sit down and write down my new recipe while it was fresh in my head (since those of you who know me know that I never write down what I put into food and usually never go by a recipe), so I saved it just for you, so you could try it out and let me know how I did... it was super easy, and super yummy! Michelle, if you try it, maybe you could just put some fresh fruit on it (we didn't have any because this was a spur of the moment use what you have kind of thing). Anyway, I'm in a much better mood now. Cory is home, the girls are so stuffed from eating all that food that they are laying around like slugs, the baby is finally asleep, and my headache is starting to get better... Nyquil here I come!
Cottage Cheese Pancakes
1 small container Cottage Cheese
2/3 Cup all purpose Flour
10 Tbl melted butter
7 eggs
1/3-1/2 Cup milk
2-3 tsp vanilla
vegetable oil or cooking spray
Combine cottage cheese, butter, and eggs in blender. Blend until batter is smooth. Slowly add flour. Blend until batter is smooth again. Add vanilla, and milk to thin out mixture to fairly runny consistancy. Pour small amount of batter into medium heat, greased skillet. Move pan around to allow batter to spread. Cook only till lightly golden, like a crepe.
Serve with butter, jam, and powdered sugar


7 comments:
Those sound interesting. Hmmmm... I wonder if Adam would eat them. :)
Mmmm, sounds tasty!
I almost got dessert for dinner at IHOP during our dinner-date tonight. It was a realllllly close call, but I was good and talked myself into an omelet and pancakes.
Now I'm wishing I'd gone ahead and indulged on the Crispy Banana Caramel Cheesecake. Your post has my mouth watering for sweets.
The idea of a flat pancake reminds me of the kind my mom makes for our family, a heritage from her mother, which we call German pancakes. And she doesn't use a recipe, either. It's so hard to learn cooking from her when instructions are "add about x number eggs per people eating, plus 2-3 extra, depending on thickness... also factor in the humidity, plus altitude if you make it at sea level..." No, I'm not be sarcastic, she really does describe her cooking that way, factoring in elements beyond the ingredients, of which she also only does pinches of this and handfuls of that.
Sigh.
Anyway, good for you writing it down! Hope you have lots of encore performances and similarly happy family customers experiences! ;->
LOL... actually, while I was cooking them, Cory commented that it's been a long time since I made him german pancakes. I definitely understand your mom's cooking style, as that's usually what I do.
Adam like cheese right? They are so yummy, because while they are still warm, the aren't like even regular crepes... they still have a slight gooey melted cheese texture about them.
Looks yummy! But could you be more specific about the amount of cottage cheese? Here a small container is like a 1/2 cup single-serve deal. And is that really TEN tablespoons of butter? Just checking. :)
Yep, ten because I doubled the recipe to feed my starving clan of cavemen... it was just shy of two cups of cottage cheese. Plus, with all the butter, there really is no need to slather more on top... the girls liked them with just some jam and powdered sugar.
Oh, if you want to use 8 tbl of butter and just add some more milk, that would work too ;)
Thankies! :D
Post a Comment